Sunday, March 30, 2008

Baseboards and Bert...

Chilly again this weekend---what happened to Spring? I've noticed that it warms up during the week and then is freezing cold every weekend. A cruel trick?! Brooke says I post too many pictures of "house stuff" and that I should start posting more of the other things we do (what else do we do?!?!)! So, I've taken his advice! We had a fun weekend---Friday night we were able to take a peek at a renovated home in our neighborhood---the house was built in 1917 and had been completely gutted and put back together exactly as it was built, plus a few modern convienences. It was truly inspiring and was exciting to see and get some ideas. Saturday we were fortunate enough to be able to explore my Great-Great Aunt Bert's house. Her home is on Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga and is currently on the market. I remember this house as a child and it was great fun to "poke around" as an adult. Her home was built in 1904 and has also been restored and updated. Interestingly enough, she lived right next door to her sister, my Great Grandmother, and the home my Grandmother grew up in. Their old house still looks great...wish I could have looked inside that one, too. Do we see a trend here? Are Brooke and I addicted to old home remodels? In between these outings, we did a little cooking on the grill and church this morning. All in all, a nice weekend at home.
It was a very foggy morning, but this is the view from her front yard---it over looks downtown, and in the distance Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain.
The front of the home---a GREAT porch for rocking, and out back, a screened porch that runs the length of the home. My favorite feature is a spiral staircase that leads from the back porch up to Bert's son Earl's old room. She had it put in so that he didn't have to go through the house to get up to his room when he was messy and dirty after playing outside.
This is a really fun picture---this is the exact spot where my Grandmother and Grandfather's engagement picture was taken. So, Brooke and I flipped the camera to black and white and will have to post the pic of Grandmother and Gramps when I get a copy so you all can see that!
Brooke puts down the baseboards...now all that's left is cleaning up and hanging curtains, mirror, etc.!
Is this who I married?!?!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I do like to see all the house postings, but this one was nice to see pictures of you guys having fun!! Thanks for sharing.